The other day Rona sent Covet Garden their latest Home and Garden preview package, which included their new look book, some Sico Paint samples, ceramic tiles and various other goodies. They aslo asked if I could come up with a DIY project using any of the included items. I came up with these tile coasters.
1. Clean tiles then set aside.
2. Cut your paper into various widths of strips, each the length of your tile.
3. Brush the tile with a generous amount of decoupage glue. Then, center your paper on the tile and press the paper to the tile firmly, beginning in the middle and working your way outwards eliminating air bubbles.
4. Continue to add strips and allow 15 minutes to dry.
5. Apply a layer of decoupage glue to the top of the paper making sure your brushstrokes run in only one direction. Let dry dry completely.
6. Once dry, add a light coat of waterproof acrylic sealer and allow to dry completely. Repeat this step until you get a sheen you are happy with.
7. Cut cork to the appropriate size to match your tiles. For my 4 x 4" tiles, I cut 4 x 4" pieces of cork.
8. Using your glue gun, affix cork to the bottom of the tile. Once glue has dried your coasters are ready to use.